Follow us on Twitter

Ribbesford Meadows, Ribbesford, Bewdley. Worcestershire. DY12 2TJ

Gornal Athletic v Bewdley Town

Saturday, 5th Nov 2016

West Midlands (Regional) League Premier Division

Town travelled to the bottom placed side, looking for a repeat of the score from a couple of weeks ago when they ran out winners by 6-0. However, they came across a much more determined side who gave Town a scare.

Gornal began the game looking anything but the side rooted to them bottom of the league searching for their 1st point of the season. The 1st clear chance fell to Town in the 10th minute, a free kick by Aaron Stubbins found Pountney but his header lacked power and was easily gathered by keeper Curwen. 4 minutes later and Town had a number of chances to score, Rudd played a ball through to Pountney, he flicked it on to Maund who was tackled but the ball was won back by Lavery, his shot deflected into the path of Maund whose shot was blocked, the loose ball fell to Pountney but his shot flew wide. The 16th minute saw Town's pressure finally pay off, another free kick from Stubbins was played wide to Graham, his deep cross was won in the air by Ashley Stubbins to Pountney who deftly chested the ball back to Wellings who fired it past Curwen into the net. Town should have increased their lead in the 30th minute, a great move that saw Lavery, Rudd, Maund, Pountney and Morris combine before Maund saw his shot saved. Another chance came and went in the 40th minute, a cross by Maund intended for Pountney was headed out by Fellows for a corner. The home sides 1st chance came in added on time, a long hopeful ball by Bastable was chased by Manoocheri, with Town's defence watching he raced into the box but his shot was easily save by Steadman.

Half time; Gornal Athletic 0 Bewdley Town 1

Gornal began the 2nd half at a pace and should have drawn level straight from the kick off. White played the ball wide to Newman who beat Graham then hit his shot into the side netting. In the 52nd minute the scores were level, Bastable played a ball over Town's defence, Manoocheri beat the offside shout and ran on unchallenged, he lifted the ball over the advancing Steadman and into the net for 1-1. Ashley Stubbins very nearly created a chance in the 54th minute, he won the ball on half way then went on a run beating 3 players in the process, played it through to Maund but his low cross shot was well saved by Curwen. Stubbins was have a big say in the game and 2 minutes later  played in Morris but he shot well over from 6 yards. The 60th minute saw another chance saved by Curwen, a free kick by Lavery found Pountney but the keeper saved his header. Yet another chance went begging in the 65th minute a clearance by Stubbins was won back by Lavery to Maund, he played the ball out to Morris but his cross was headed wide by Pountney. In the 69th minute the home sides cause was made even harder when following a scuffle Newman was sent off for throwing a punch at sub Williams. The 75th minute Ashley Stubbins should have rounded off a great display with a goal but saw his header from a Williams cross fly over the bar. Town eventually increased their lead in the 80th minute from the penalty spot, Williams played a ball through to Wellings in the 18 yard box but he was brought down by Lawton, Pountney stepped up and coolly slotted the penalty home to give Town the win.

Final score; Gornal Athletic 1 Bewdley Town 2.